Up next, and like a year later we got into knits and knit dresses. The spotted, red and pink dresses above are various views of the Hexham Dress and the long black dress with white checks is an Atrax Top & Hexham Dress mashup that has been lengthened.
My recent dress making has been back to my lovely woven fabrics! Gorgeous A+R pink linen got made into a Melba Dress, and this very structured gold fabric got a flounce added to its hem for this fishy Melba. My most recent dress was another Melba, this time in peachy seersucker fabric with a very gathered skirt added onto the bottom.
Similar to the Waikerie Shirt I just made, I sized this Huon up to a Size G- that matched with my largest belly measurement, and I’m pleased to have all the extra volume through the dress!
Measurements: My current measurements are 48″ bust, 54″ hip, 54″ waist and my largest belly measurement is 58″. This is measuring at my hip bones and where my waist is (not where my smallest measurement is (which is really just my underbust)). You can see Leila’s ‘how to measure’ here on Insta.
Fabric: I had 3.1metres of this 150m wide fabric. You can’t tell here, but I actually used the leftover fabric from my Waikerie for the pockets here- What I had left from cutting out this dress could potentially be a usable amount of fabric for a small project, whereas the leftover from the Waikerie was perfect for the 2 big pockets that the Huon uses.
The long gum leaf print doesn’t have a clear up and down, with the leaves not laying all in the same direction. That’s handy as it let me play Tetris a little more with the pattern pieces, leaving me with a usable width for something small and sleeveless. The fabric was crisp and took to an iron well, and because it was tightly woven there was minimal fraying, so sewing wasn’t a race against the clock.
The part on the Huon is always the back view- I love how the very generous gathers meet with the yoke at the back (it’s almost a shame that I don’t get a chance to look at it while I’m wearing it! Here, I played with the direction of the gum leaves, on the sleeve bands and the outside yoke. I also like how the width of the yoke gives you a chance to really look at the print, which is somewhat obscured on the rest of the dress by the gathers.
I whipped up a new pair of Frankenstein’s monster pants and my intention was to make a top in matching fabric (for a faux jumpsuit matching-set), but I couldn’t decide on a pattern so the top remains a work-in-progress!
It’s not SUPER obvious in my photos, but the pants have a double pleat on the front (so 4 pleats in total) and there’s 4 darts on the back to minimise some of the extra fabric that I inevitably get pooling in the small of my back. I had intended to make the front of the waistband flat (no elastic), but I sewed these up during a Muna and Broad Patreon Zoom Sewing Circle and I obviously got distracted because there’s interfacing in the front of the waistband, but also elastic.
So after I finally hemmed this today, and lay them out on my bed to find some other things to wear with it to take some photos, I was very pleased to find that my radioactive Muna and Broad Huon Dress was a very close colour-match. They both paired well with this forest green Nullarbor Cami, and the final touch was these blister-inducing shoes which I are my go-to shoes when I feel like there’s no way to avoid being very dramatic anyway.
The pants are made from rayon crepe from The Fabric Store here in NZ, this particular shade is Lemongrass and isn’t available any more. I’ve seen the Citron colour, which is similar (but more yellow/neon toned) and I like it’s radioactive qualities even more than this particular shade.
The dress and the pants have a striking similarity to the fresh spring growth that I’ve been very much enjoying in my local park, so I suppose I can say that this very bright ensemble is inspired by this very lovely time of year.
No idea yet about the matching top, but hopefully inspiration for that strikes before I get to summer!